The necessary info about Maynard

My photo
Tunbridge Wells, Kent, United Kingdom
Married to Jess, Father to Joel, Christopher and Caitlin. Part-time Support Worker at work. Full-time Support Worker at home!

Monday, 7 April 2008

Deep thoughts

Cor! Keeping up with this blog business isn't easy, is it? I'm always impressed with those who can keep on top of it. Mind you, it does show who has an active lifestyle compared to my rather sedated pace - not necessarily the way I like it!
Anyway, the past three weeks have seen me doing some digging into the past for my next Creative Writing assignment which is to do with life-writing. Boym it's been tough. I've had to look back at growing up within the 'troubles' of Northern Ireland and it hasn't been easy. I've been concentrating on a specific moment in 1988 when a bomb killed six soldiers in my home town of Lisburn. Two minutes before the bomb exploded under the van they were driving, I had been standing at the exact spot where it went off. This was a real turning point for me as to how I saw the 'troubles', the two 'sides' and how I wanted to go forward as a 'Generation X' teenager in the midst of such hatred.
I won't bore you with details. Suffice to say, it gave me food for thought about preparing for what comes after this mortal coil.
I enjoyed life back then, but I began to enjoy it ten-fold after that fatal day knowing that God was on my side and had prepared my future for me.
Live life to the full, but be aware of what comes next.

No comments: