I think it's important to take some time out to relax, enjoy yourself, your family and your friends; and the past couple of weeks has given plenty of opportunity for all of that for me.
I love it when after a long arduous day with my face in the books I can kick back and have some fun on the wii with a couple of friends like I did a couple of weeks ago, followed the next night by our second MOT evening. Another good turnout of men from church to natter, talk about hobbies and enjoy good food.
On Friday 20th Joel had another hockey tournament against several primary schools and he was chosen to be the A team captain for his matches. He was really chuffed with this, added to the fact that he scored a few goals too! Proud of you, son!
The next day we planned to have our very first family cycle ride - I mean all five of us together. We bought a ride-along for Caitlin which attaches to my bike which she can pedal too if she likes. Anyway, we thought we'd do the Penshurst to Haysden Park route. But it didn't quite turn out as planned. As I was attaching Caitlin's ride-along one of the bolts sheared right off, so we were left with the dilemma as to whether we should continue on one bolt. We voted 'yes' and risked it. So, off we headed up the steep hill out of Penshurst Place. Jess found it hard (first time on a bike ride for a looonnnggggg time!) and was having difficulty changing gears. We made it over the hill and contined to the nice flat part for a mile or so when all of a sudden I heard a 'hiss' coming from my front tyre - I had a puncture. No repair kit or pump, so while the others went on ahead slowly, I walked Caitlin and the bikes the next two miles to Haysden. I then had to ride Jess's bike back to the car at Penshurst after some lunch and found that hers wouldn't change down to first, so no wonder she found it difficult!
Well, if nothing else, we all got a good amount of exercise that day.
Later on Joel and I watched in awe as Ireland took the Grand Slam, Triple Crown and the 6 Nations trophy after the most excruciating rugby match we've ever watched - sorry Wales, but it was our turn this time - and about time too!!! M&C then came to dinner and it was nice to lord Ireland's victory over England's 2nd place in the table.
As for the 'end of an era', well, our church Administrator, my friend and Scout Troop leader, Alistair is leaving next week to move to Shropshire to take up a new job up there. We had a party last Thursday to bid him a fond farewell. I'll miss him, but it has opened up an opportunity for me. I have agreed to take over as Scout Troop leader. Daunting - as the timing doesn't feel quite right, but saying that, I will have great assistance from current helper, Nick, and my good buddy, Bill, who has offered to come on board too. So, it'll be all change come next term and hopefully we can make it a fun-filled time for the boys. Roll on summer camp!
Also, i've come to the conclusion that squash is a fit persons game, so I'm hanging up my racket til I manage to get myself in some kind of shape - preferably more lean - before thinking about it again - sorry Tony. How about golf? All that fresh air can't be beaten. Maybe it's my age - tomorrow I begin my 40th year on this planet and I hope the next 40 see me in good health, so after Easter it'll be healthy eating for me and a few more minutes on the thigh-master and weights bench. I say Easter coz it would be rude to pass on all that lovely chocolate and those delicious hot-buttered hot-cross buns - YUM, YUM!
Thanks, too, to G'ma & G'pa for having the kids on Saturday night while Jess and I went to another party for Al & Sarah. It was nice to come home late and be able to flush the loo and talk without whispering.
1 comment:
Woo Hoo, you have so much fun....we're envious
xxx
Post a Comment